Friday, September 30, 2011

Egg Puffs

Egg puffs, warm, crisp and flaky.... and a hot cup of coffee on a rainy or cold day...sounds great rt :)  If you are an egg lover, I am very sure that Egg Puffs will be in your favourite list. My husband loves egg puffs and when we were in India we used to buy these once a week from the bakery. There were a few bakeries in our place famous for these yummy egg puffs and we used to have them a lot. Now after I came to US, I prepare different puffs at home and egg puffs is still my husbands favourite. The masala is simple to make and these can be prepared quick. 




What you need?

1 Puff pastry sheet
4 Eggs
1 large Onion chopped
1 tsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
1 tsp Chilli powder
1/2 tsp Garam/Chicken Masala
A pinch Turmeric powder
few Coriander leaves chopped
1 tsp Oil
Salt



How to prepare?

Hard boil the eggs and remove the shell. Thaw the pastry sheet as per the packet directions.

Heat oil in a pan. Saute onions and ginger-garlic paste until onion turns brown. Add chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and salt. Saute for a minute or two. Now add the coriander leaves and combine everything well.

Cut the eggs into 2 lengthwise. Cut the pastry sheets into desired shapes and sizes. I have made squares here.

Now for filling in each pastry sheet squares, you can do in 2 ways. One method is while preparing the masala, finally add the eggs and mix well carefully without mashing the eggs. Then transfer the egg and masala to each of the pastry sheet square. Another method is to keep a large spoon of masala in each square and place the egg on top of the masala with the side cut on the masala. 

Apply a little water at the corners of the pastry square for sealing. Wrap all the corners of each square on the egg. You can also apply some egg wash on top of each puffs for a nice browning which I have omitted here.

Bake at 400F for 15-20 minutes. Let it cool for a couple of minutes before serving.



I also tried the VahreVah chef method for Egg Puffs where eggs are only sprinkled with salt, pepper and chaat masala. I liked his simple method and the shape he made. Watch his video here.





Jay of Tasty Appetite and Julie of Erivum Puliyum has passed on the Inspiration Blogger award. Thank you pals, I appreciate your kind gesture and the recognition you gave me. I am very happy to know that I am one of your inspirers in the blogosphere. Thanx a lot guys, this means a lot to me. Jay and Julie have a great space and do check out their space for so many wonderful recipes.


Rules for accepting the award:
*Copy and paste the award on your site and copy the link of the person who gave you the award.
*Then answer the tag questions!
*Nominate any blogs you feel deserve it.

The tag questions:

1. What makes you laugh, smile or giggle?
2. What are your dreams for your future?
3. If you are to go to a cruise, where would it be and why?
4. How would you spend your vacation time and with whom?
5. If given a chance, what life would you choose? Your life now or your past?
6. Is there something that you wished before when you were young but you didn’t get it?
7. Have you been in a situation where u might have given up but still you chose to move on?
8. Is their someone in your life who has been your source of strength and inspiration?

My answers:

1. I always smile at my son's naughty actions, expressions, smiles..I laugh at funny jokes and comedy movies.
2. Every man lives because of his dreams n hopes. I too have many, let those be with me ;)
3. I love travelling and if I get a chance I would love to see the whole world.
4. I like to spend time with my family travelling or watching movies or shopping and dining.
5. I would choose both. I want to go back and live with my parents as a loving daughter. Sometimes when I think about the past, I wish if I hadn't done that, if I had studied that etc etc...So I want to go back and make all those "ifs" happen and to live a more better way. I like the present life too, I cherish the moments with my husband and son.
6. Everyone must have faced such situations as a kid. But I can't recall anything in particular right now.
7. There are so many situations like that, but God gave the strength to move on. That's life rt? Don't give up and just move on !!
8. The greatest source of strength is the almighty God..Then my parents, husband, son and a few of my friends..

I would love to pass the Inspiration blogger award to some of my inspirers. It's hard to choose, still choosing few of my inspirers..they have always inspired me through their posts, comments and wishes. Thank you my buddies...great knowing you all and to be wonderful friends.

Priya of Now Serving
Aipi of US Masala
Suja of Kitchen Corner
Sadhana of Sensible Vegetarian
Sangee of Typical Indian Cooking
Biny of Biny's recipes
Laxmi of Samayal Diary
Sharmilee of  Sharmis passion
Reshmi of Easy Cook
Kaveri of Palakkad Chamayal
Divya of Divya's Recipes

Have a great weekend friends....!!


31 Tasty Comments:

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Egg puffs look super delicious...Congrats on ur awards dear...

alpana said...

Beautiful puffs Sobha.......Thanks for sharing.

Sumee said...

I love puff's.. reminds me of hot ones from bakery in b'lore.. I have tried vah re vah's too.. they turn out very neat..

MyKitchen Flavors-BonAppetit!. said...

Congrats for the Awardand U worth-deserve it(as U r one among few to come first to drop ur words of inspiration first to any yumm blogger).These Egg Puffs luk Yummy,Buttery and flaky Dear.Luv to grab ur plate.Hope U had a nice Teatime.Thanks for sharing and dropping in.

Mélange said...

Truly appetizing.I have one in my draft Shobha.Nice presentation !

Congrats on your award.Nice reading your likes.

divya said...

Slurp,salivating here, puffs looks simply out of the world..

Julie said...

Yummy egg puffs..One of my husband's favourite too..
Congrats on the award and lovely reading through the answers..

Archana said...

lovely one.
I am hosting Fast Food not Fat Foot event. Do check out my event and send me your entries.

Unknown said...

Puffs looks great....thanks for sharing the award with me, its a honour :)

Prathima Rao said...

Puffs looks mouthwatering!!!

Pushpa said...

Puffs looks Yum!!Congrats on the award Shoba!!

Neha said...

Puffs looks very yum....Perfect with a cup of hot tea...

Nalini's Kitchen said...

puff looks delicious and tempting.

aipi said...

Congrats on your award dear n thanks for the share,appreciate it. Nice answers, loved reading it!

The puffs look neat n very nicely done!
USMasala

kankana said...

This reminds me of Bangalore and single hood days .. when at time egg puffs would be my lunch :)

Unknown said...

Super delicious. I prepare it very often as it is very simple. Yummy.

Cheers,
Uma

R said...

puffs look super delicious, cute smiley :) congrats on ur award, it was nice to know more abt u thru the answers...

Amina said...

puffs look fabulous.. nice clicks..

Kaveri Venkatesh said...

Yummy egg puffs...So nicely made...Congrats on the award and thanks a lot for thinking of me dear. I feel honored.

Treat and Trick said...

Flavorful and tasty! Congrats on your award dear...

Aruna Manikandan said...

puff looks gr8 dear :)

Priya Sreeram said...

yum- my all time fav- am salivating here sobha; congrats on the award and nice to know about you !

Priya Suresh said...

Never say no to puffs, super tempting..congrats Sobha on ur award..

Umm Mymoonah said...

Congratulations! On your awards. Your puff pastry and the filling looks absolutely delicious.

Avika J Chawla said...

egg puffs looks yummy...and congrats for your awards dear...

Simply Life said...

oooh those look so good! I would love to bite into one with dinner tonight!

Gayathri NG said...

Congratz on ur awards dear...
Luv the puffs forever...looks tempting...

Sobha Shyam said...

Thank you all for the wishes and lovely comments :)

Chitra said...

My sis and dad used to have this. Looks nice.

Hema said...

delicious puffss.. super yummyyy :)

Pranati Nath said...

wow..yummy.....Hi, First time to you blog and you have a very lovely space here...do visit my space when u find time... http://pran-oriya-recipies.blogspot.com/

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...