Friday, June 24, 2011

Apple Payasam/Apple Kheer

I had never tried out a payasam with a fruit. Few days back, I made the apple payasam by using chopped apples and without making a puree. So the consistency didn't turn out thick. Then I realized that I can make a puree of  the apples and get a payasam like consistency. I tried this method and it turned out great. Its a simple recipe and you can utilize the left over apples this way. Enjoy this delicious payasam.

Check out my other payasam recipes:
4 minutes Oats payasam, Cracked Wheat payasam



What you need?

2 Apples
1/2 cup Coconut milk
3/4 cup Jaggery
1/4 tsp Cardamom powder
1 tbsp chopped Dates
1/2 tbsp sweetened Cranberries
Ghee
Water

How to prepare?

Peel the skin of the apples. Chop them into small cubes. In a pan, add about 1/2 cup water and the chopped apples. When the water boils, reduce the flame,  cover and cook the apples. Stir in between. This may take a few minutes. Apples will become soft once cooked. Keep aside the cooked apple and let it cool. Once cooled, put them in a blender and make a puree of it. 

Put the apple puree and coconut milk in a pan. Add water if necessary to get the consistency you desire. Cook on a medium flame. When it starts to boil, add the jaggery and it will melt soon. Now add the cardamom powder and sprinkle some ghee if you desire. Mix well and the apple pudding is ready. Garnish with dates and cranberries.Serve warm or chilled.

Serves 2-3

Notes:
*Add some chopped apples in the end to get a crunchy effect.
*You can garnish with cashews and raisins.


Thanks a lot Priya Sreeram @ Bon Appetit  for sending across the participation award for the Fast Food, Not Fat Food event.


34 Tasty Comments:

Unknown said...

apple payasam looks delicious and perfect for the heat outside! Thanks for inquiring after me :) I am back after a thrilling, super busy start to my summer :)

aipi said...

Ohhh this is a perfect summer dessert ~ How I wish you lived close by :)
US Masala

Julie said...

wow..Apple payasam looks yum..never heard about payasam with apple,but familiar with other fruits payasam,must have been tasty!!
I too have a apple recipe in my draft,will post soon..

Sangeetha M said...

Its been long time since i made this delicious apple payasam...your recipe with coconut milk is more interesting n bet it tasted divine...sure a healthy n yummy drink...glad that you liked my recipes...one more recipe for your event in my draft :)

Unknown said...

Very new recipe, looks and sounds great !!!

Binys Recipes said...

i never had this b4...payasam is simply superb

Laxmipriya said...

Very different. Have not heard of apple in payasam.. Nice and healthy idea.

Sravs said...

Never heard payasam with apple !! so interesting and sounds very healthy !!

Suja Manoj said...

Wonderful dessert,looks really yummy..bookmarked.

divya said...

delicious kheer.. i feel like having it right now.

Deepti said...

lovely kheer with apples...

http://www.panchamrutham.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Yummy payasam and my fav too... Even though I ve never put my hands on it.

Deeksha said...

Apple payasam sounds delicious...

Angela said...

Yum! This is really making me hungry.

Elaichii said...

Payasam looks wonderful!

Mélange said...

Wow..a very nice kheer with apple..perfect for the season to enjoy!

Hari Chandana P said...

Delicious and tempting kheer.. looks perfect !!
Indian Cuisine

Vimitha Durai said...

Apple payasam looks delicious and yummy...

Treat and Trick said...

Apple is a great addition tho this yummy and healthy payasam!

Prathima Rao said...

Simple & quick & a too yummy payasam!!!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Raksha said...

perfect apple payasam

Shylaja said...

Delicious and yummy payasam
South Indian Recipes

Archana said...

Reminds me of the old hindi movie "Khubsoorat" where I had first heard of this kheer.
Must try!

Priya Suresh said...

Even i tried apple kheer long back, beautifully done..

saleena said...

Vaayil vellam urunnu sobha!!!I have never heard abt apple payasam....Good idea sobha!!!

Unknown said...

Wow looks very delicious

Urmi said...

Payesam looks yummy and tempting. Wonderful recipe and presentation.

Kaveri Venkatesh said...

Wow! that's a yummy payasam...looks very delicious..

Suman Singh said...

Delicious kheer..love those apples in it..YUM!!
U have some awards waiting in my space.. Pls do drop by and collect them dear..

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

bookmarked..thank you my dear..:)
Tasty Appetite

Mina Joshi said...

This is a perfect dish for anytime.

Priya Sreeram said...

yummy it looks !

Malar Gandhi said...

Very refreshing payasam...beautiful work there, kudos to you.

Please trail to find my latest updates at my new blog, part II - www.kitchen-mantra.blogspot.com.

Asha said...

nice :-)

Asha
WhatAnIndianRecipe

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...