Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Chef's Favourites Series : Butter Cashew Biscuits - A Guest Post by Sangee Vijay

My journey through the blogging world has given me one of the best things in life...a lot of friends, some of them has become very close to my heart :). So I thought of starting up a monthly guest post series - The Chef's Favourites. I want to invite some of  my blogger friends to write a guest post about one of their favourite recipes. They will also answer some simple questions which would help us to know more about  their likes. There will be one chef featured here at my space every month. 

The Chef for this month is Sangeetha who is well known to us as Sangee Vijay and she has a wonderful space Spicy Treats. When I told her about my idea about this series, she encouraged me and readily agreed to do a guest post. When I met her through the  blogging world, we quickly became friends. We realized we have so much in common and our friendship grew beyond the blogging world. She always encourages me with her opinions and comments, always enquire about me n my family. She is a talented cook and I am always amazed by her innovative recipes. If you see her blog, you would realize the efforts she puts for each recipe..well explained and great clicks. She is very hard working, can't sit idle at all and won't take rest even if she is sick, though I advise her :). 


Presenting to you Chef Sangee Vijay of Spicy Treats ...She is sharing with us one of  her favourite recipes - Butter Cashew Biscuits. Thank you dear for doing a guest post for me and the biscuits are just fabulous....a wonderful post :). Those who haven't visited her space, please hop to see a variety of lovely recipes !!


Over to Sangee now...

I am lucky enough to get so many good hearts through blogging and one such lovely friend of mine is Sobha, who blogs at Good Food.  Till from the  day one (I introduced to her space) i felt some unkown bonding towards her and her recipes. And also I wanted to take our friendship to next level and added her to my friends' list on FB. So glad to have found her.  I really love her healthy and yummy recipes, lots of eggless,butterless, whole wheat bakes and low calorie appetizers are notable. 
When Sobha asked  me to do a guest post for her blog's The Chef's Favourites Series I accepted to do without any further delay. And also she asked me to share any one of my favourite recipes along with some snippets.


About Me..

Nothing special to say about me - A Happy Home Maker :) This single word itself explains a lot right ?? !!


Favourite Recipe here @ Good Food

Almost all are my favourite :) But the most impressed one was her Wheat Kozhukattai-Sweet n Savory. I never thought to make kozhukattai with wheat flour, I am simply amazed at her creativity. And also I like all her Soya recipes- Tandoori Soya is the most favorite one. Thank You Sobha for all your amazing recipes . Do keep sharing such wonderful dishes.

Favourite Cookbook

I love reading books a lot, but after my school days I stopped reading books and my full time concentration went on my studies only. As I did my Bachelor's degree in Govt. college, all those 3 years went searching for my subject books and notes. Later also I didn't get time to spend with books, the same with cookbooks too, never tried any recipe from a cookbook. But every time I happen to see any  books with some interesting recipes n ideas while shopping,  immediately I take note in my phone and later forget it totally. And also I don't have any book collections except the books I won so far :)

Favourite Chef

My Mom - the best Chef of the world - from whom I happened to taste and learn all heavenly dishes.  Still yearning for Amma's Samayal and nothing can compensate her preparations. If u are my reader for long time, u might have noticed that I have mentioned in many of my recipes about my Mom n her recipes I shared.  

Favourite Spice

Fennel seeds - I just love to have it in all my recipes except Rasam .  Love it's  flavor and taste and you can see me using it in all my recipes, at least a 1/2 tsp :)

Favourite Cuisine

Indian Cuisine comes first- Southern, Chettinad, Kerala& Northern, then i love Chinese, Italian, Mexican & North American also.

Favourite Recipe

Now I am going to share mine and my kids favourite Butter Cashew Biscuits.  I tried this so many times and now this has become my family favourite. These biscuits/cookies taste similar to Good Day Cashew Biscuits and even more fresh and flavourful than the store bought ones. Good day Biscuits and Bourbon biscuits are my favourite ones. I never thought that I could make those lovely cashew biscuits at home.I posted a similar cookie recipe with almond also. Both of these are worth to try and no doubt your kids will love to munch them. We finished these batch in one day :) Now to the recipe...


Ingredients

All Purpose Flour   1 and 1/4 cup
Rice Flour   1/3 cup
Butter    1/2 cup
Icing Sugar    1/2 cup
Baking Powder    1/4 tsp
Salt     1/2 tsp
Vaniila Extract    1/2 tsp
Cashew Nut    1/3 cup
Egg White    from one large egg
Milk      2 tbsp


Method

Preheat oven to 200 degree Fahrenheit.
Line a baking tray with aluminium paper. Add few drops of olive oil, spread it and arrange the cashew nuts.
Bake it for 8-10 minutes or until it turns light golden brown.
Once done remove from the oven, allow to cool and grind it to a fine powder and keep aside.

In a medium sized mixing bowl, sift flours ,salt,baking soda and combine well and keep ready.
In another bowl, add butter and using  an electric hand blender beat butter until light n fluffy.
Add icing sugar and beat until fluffy and add vanilla, milk and egg white, then  beat to combine.
Now add flour mixture and gently mix everything well and using hands make it to a smooth dough.
And cover the bowl, using cling wrap and refrigerate the dough for 2 hours.
After  2 hours , line baking tray with parchment paper and keep ready.

Preheat oven to 375 degree Fahrenheit.
After that, divide the dough in to 3 equal parts. Place one part in a parchment/wax paper in a firm platform and place another parchment paper over the dough and press it.
Using a rolling pin roll the dough firmly to 1/4 " thick  and then remove the outer paper.
Using a cookie cutter or any rim of a can/bottle,  cut and place the cut out dough 2 inches apart into the already lined/greased baking tray . Then using a fork press each rolled out dough to get stripe impression.
Then bake it for 15-18 minutes ( for me it took only 12 minutes) or till the edges n bottom turn light golden brown colour.

Allow to cool them on wire racks and store it on air tight container.


That's it...Home made Best Butter-Cashew Biscuits are ready . Enjoy your tea time with these melt in mouth cookies/biscuits. 
Have a Good Day!!



Notes:
* Instead of Cashew nut you can also use Pistachios and Almonds or a combo of any two nuts.
* If you don't have icing sugar, just add 3/4 cup of granulated sugar to blender and powder it finely and use it. I tried using both icing and granulated sugar but icing sugar gives you more fine taste n melt in mouth cookies.
* If u find hard to roll the dough , simply take 2 teaspoons of dough, shape them in to small balls, about 1/4" inch thick and press gently using a glass bottom and place 2 inches apart  in to the baking tray greased or lined with parchment paper.


My Cooking Tip :

Cook with more passion and interest, Your recipe should reveal your love to whom U serve. That's the best tip to get perfect and delicious recipes. I follow the same :))


Thank You guys and hope you all will like my recipe and Thank You Sobha for this wonderful opportunity. Love You !!








48 Tasty Comments:

Sangeetha M said...

Thank you Sobha for those lovely words n am so happy to see my recipe Here :)

Vidhya said...

Lovely guest post and loved the butter cashew cookies sounds fantastic.

Vimitha Durai said...

Great initiative dear... The biscuits look awesome and yum

Manju said...

great...perfect to have with tea...thanks for sharing!!

Rekha shoban said...

perfect n crunchy biscuits!

Vardhini said...

Nice series and the biscuits look addictive.

Vardhini
Event: New "U" - Healthy Eats
Event: Healing Foods - Cauliflower

Neetz said...

loved the presentation!!! i m sure those biscuits would have tasted awesome!!

Kaveri Venkatesh said...

Nice thought of starting "The Chef's Favorites" Series..Wishing you all the best in every venture.

A wonderful post by Sangee..thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Unknown said...

Cashew butter biscuit looks crunchy and yummy....

Faseela said...

that was wonderful.......cashewe biscuits luks super delicious...thanx sangee 4 sharing....

Anisha said...

Great guest post... good to know more about Sangeetha... And the recipe is bookmarked I love good day and homemade would definitely taste amazing.

Great idea for guest post series, Shobha... We'll also get to know blogger friends better.

Angela said...

Those look delicious - a very good guest post.

Prathima Rao said...

I so loved this guest post!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

www.mahaslovelyhome.com said...

wow..looks great..yumm..loved the cliks..neat explanation..

Unknown said...

cookies came out so great..love to munch on some right now with my coffee

La @ FoodSlice said...

These are like good day biscuits, right? Sound delicious. Nice concept too the chef's favourite series

Unknown said...

wow very neat and perfectly baked cookies...luv it!

Kalyani said...

yummy and tempting cookies !!!

Hema said...

Hey, this is one perfect cookie recipe , looks so delicious..

Raks said...

Wow, sounds so delicious, perfectly made cookies, thanks to both of you for the post!

Priya Suresh said...

Awesome guest post, kudos to both of u..Mindblowing biscuits,feel like having some..

Julie said...

Good initiative and great job,Sobha :-)
Sangee is a very hard working blogger and so are her lovely recipes..Lovely guest post of cashew butter biscuits !!

Erivum Puliyum

Prabha Mani said...

Wonderful post..i enjoyed reading :)Yummm cookies!!

Nalini's Kitchen said...

wonderful post..the cookies sound delicious,inviting and perfectly done....

Suja Manoj said...

Lovely post..perfectly baked cookies

Sobha Shyam said...

Thank you Sangee for this wonderful post, I feel so happy :)..Thank you for all your efforts :)

Alpana said...

Beautiful post Sobha.....love this awesome recipe from Sangee........reminds me of Good Day Cashew cookies that are my fav's ......thanks for this great post.

divya said...

simply superb...i'm drooling over here.

Unknown said...

First time here..Looks just like store bought gooday cashew biscuits..

Anonymous said...

These are absolutely stunning! I know that most Americans love the chewy sweet cookie...and I like those, too. But I LOVE crunchy, crispy cookies...and this one is perfection!

Rumana Rawat said...

Superb looking biscuits:)

@lekshmi said...

wow!!!perfectly baked cashew biscuits.........

ramya said...

Thank you for coming by my lil' blog and for your lovely comments.....I would love to do a guest post for you someday too!

Priya Sreeram said...

what a nice guest post- thanks for sharing it sangee & sobha

Ramya said...

What a lovely post two of u:-) U gals rock..
The cookies loos absolutely delightful:-)

Archana said...

Wow what a delicious post dear! Love the cookies.

Elaichii said...

Great Guest post, cute cookies!

Anjali Shukla said...

This is the biggest delight for all baking lovers and especially amateur bakers. :)

Deeps @ Naughty Curry said...

looks delecious, just like good day (my fav cookie). loved reading the q&a... very good idea sobha.. waiting for other guest posts :)

hotpotcooking said...

WOW!! lovely post. Thanks guys for sharing

Sensible Vegetarian said...

Lovely post and recipe. Kudos to you both Sobha and Sangee.

Vineetha Sush said...

guest post series sounds brilliant..and sangee biscuits looks like our good day biscuits,yummy !!

Rasi said...

Hii shobha :).. happen to see sangee s post & came here. I am glad i did. you have a very nice healthy blog :).. am a happy follower.. do drop in sometime to my space !

Swathi said...

Nice guest post, cookies looks delicious.

Only fish recipes said...

Lovely guest post with a delicious cookie recipe !

Unknown said...

So buttery and so delicious looking - very nice series, Sobha and love Sagee's guest post :) She like me is a huge fan of her mom's cooking - Sigh I miss mine very much!

PrathibhaSreejith said...

Sobha, Thats a fantastic Series and a great effort dear :) Sangee's Butter Cashew Biscuits looks absolutely delicious and as usual great clicks as well.
Great work gals, u guys rock. All the best wishes both of you :)

Mahi said...

Biscuits looks professional! Nice series! Happy hosting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...