Thursday, December 8, 2011

Dhokla

My husband has been asking me to prepare Dhoklas for quite sometime. Dhoklas are a popular Gujarati snack and one of his favourites . I was forgetting his request and when he started to complain, finally I thought of making them yesterday :)  I have never made them and I have tasted it just once or twice, so I didn't have much idea about them. So I searched for an easy recipe and I liked the one at Rak's Kitchen. Her simple recipe and explanations inspired me to prepare the Dhoklas. The original recipe uses Eno fruit salt and it was mentioned that baking soda can be used instead. Since I didn't have the Eno fruit salt, I used the soda. I surprised my husband yesterday with these when he came from office. They came out soft, fluffy and delicious, ofcourse my husband enjoyed them :).

View the original recipe at Rak's Kitchen here.





What you need?

1 cup Gram flour/Besan
1/2 cup Yoghurt
1" piece Ginger
2-3 Green chillies
1 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Lemon juice
1/2 tsp Baking soda
A pinch Turmeric powder
2 tbsp shredded Coconut
few Coriander leaves
1/2 cup Water


1 tsp Oil
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1/4 tsp Asafoetida

How to prepare?

Grind  green chillies and ginger by using about 1/4 cup water to a smooth paste. Mix besan, ground paste, yoghurt, lemon juice, sugar, salt and rest of the water. It should be a smooth batter.

Grease a bowl with oil on all sides. Pour a little water in the pressure cooker and heat it. When the water is about to boil, add the baking soda to the batter and mix well. Pour it into the greased bowl. Close this bowl with a lid and place carefully inside the pressure cooker. Close the cooker and steam without keeping the weight on the top.

Steam for about 10-15 minutes. Insert a knife to see if it comes out clean. Remove the bowl from cooker and allow it to cool for 5-10 minutes. Carefully invert to a plate and cut into shapes as you desire.


Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard seeds. Add asafoetida and mix. Spread this tempering on the cut pieces. Garnish with coconut and coriander leaves. Serve with Mint chutney or Coriander chutney.



Notes:

* You can use 1.5 tsp  Eno fruit salt instead of soda.
* Do not use more water than mentioned.
* The chutney should be very spicy to enjoy with the Dhokla.



38 Tasty Comments:

Chitra said...

dokhla looks so perfect...it's in my longtime wish list...hope i do it soon...:)

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said...

That dhokla looks very delicious:)

MĂ©lange said...

Your Dhoklas came out perfect Shobha.. Colorful and super tempting.

Deeksha said...

Dhokla looks perfect n yummy.

PrathibhaSreejith said...

Dhokla luks perfect and yummy :) Luv this snack..

Reva said...

Dhokla looks very soft and yummy..:)
Reva

chef and her kitchen said...

yummy dhokla..nice n fluffy

Unknown said...

Dhokla looks yummy..

Amila said...

a yummy snack!!nice clicks too...

Anisha said...

I love dhokla... n this looks delicious and love the presentation with green chutney, the colours are really attractive.

Unknown said...

very good recipe. thanks for sharing.
u r invited to participate in my blog's first event.
http://dashamiscollection.blogspot.com/2011/12/announcing-1st-event-on-my-blog.html

Recipe world said...

Dhokla looks tempting!! Nice presentation dear..

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

looks n sounds awesome sobha..:)
Tasty Appetite

Tina said...

soft and delicious dhokla..

Kavi said...

fluffy dhoklas!
-
Kavi | Edible Entertainment
Ongoing events:
Jingle All The Way &
Microwave Easy Cooking

Sensible Vegetarian said...

This is one of my favorite snack, love it. Yours look so spongy and awesome.

Ramya said...

Fluffy looking Dhoklas;-) Loved their texture!!

Unknown said...

Yumm. I prepared is yesterday night. :-) It came out super perfect and colourful with green chutney.

Unknown said...

wow, the slices look perfect !!!

Treat and Trick said...

Perfect and so delicious!

khushi said...

my all time fav snack...do participate in the ongoing event
Bake with your heart

Suja Manoj said...

Tempting and colorful..yours have come out perfect dear

Ramakrishnan said...

Look so delicious & scrumptious !

Faseela said...

shoba.....u have done it so perfectly...........it luks so soft n ofcourse very tempting too

Nalini's Kitchen said...

dhokla looks so soft and spongy,one my fav.

Julie said...

Very delicious n perfect..I too love dhoklas..Long time craving,will surely make it soon!!
Erivum Puliyum

Ongoing Event -Christmas Delicacy (15 Nov-31 Dec 2011)

Priya Suresh said...

Prefect looking super spongy dhoklas..

Sangeetha M said...

dhokla looks soft n inviting...yes, its so yummy with green chutney...love it!!

Spicy Treats
Ongoing Event : Bake Fest # 2
Do participate in My 300th Post Giveaway

divya said...

dhokla looks so soft and spongy...

Amina Creations said...

dhokla looks soft and delicious... perfect..

cookingvarieties said...

hi sobha, this looks so petty sweet yellow...mmmm makes me curious to find out how it tastes.
have a great weekend.
sent you an email yesterday :)

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of this before...what an interesting combination of flavors!

Priya Sreeram said...

looks well done ! my fav

Priya dharshini said...

I luv the juicy doklas as u mentioned...koklas luks simply outstanding..

Plateful said...

Delicious! Don't think I've ever tasted this.

Elaichii said...

Slurp! looks fluffy and good!

Ganga Sreekanth said...

sounds so simple and delicious..

Gayathri NG said...

Soft n yummy dhokla luv the texture...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...