Friday, August 26, 2011

Savoury Poha and the 7 Links Tag Game !!


Poha or flattened rice can be used to make very simple and quick snacks. Sweet poha is very common which is poha-jaggery-coconut combination. It's very tasty and is also given as a prasad in some temples. The savoury poha is also very simple to make and will be ready in few minutes. This can be made as a quick snack and I was surprised when my son too enjoyed it.

Today's recipe is a simple and quick one, but this post is quite long. Hope you all will bear with me ;). I have been tagged in 7 Links Tag game which is an interesting game. All the details are given after my recipe. It took some time to compile this post, but I liked and enjoyed to be a part of this game.



What you need?

1 cup thick Poha
1/2 cup grated Coconut
1/2" piece Ginger finely chopped
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
4-5 Curry leaves
1/2 tsp Chilli powder or to taste
a pinch Asafoetida
1 tsp Oil
Salt

How to prepare?

Wash the poha so as to make it soft. Now squeeze out the water from the poha. Add coconut, ginger, salt to this and mix well. 

Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard and cumin seeds. Add curry leaves. Now remove the pan from stove top. When the oil is still warm, add chilli powder and asafoetida. Mix well. Add this to the poha mixture and combine well. Enjoy as a snack or breakfast... !!

Serves 2-3

Notes:
*You can add some peanuts or cashews while tempering.
*Squeeze some lime juice at the end if you desire.
*You can also add some finely chopped green chillies to the poha.




Now, let's get to the 7 Links Tag game. I have been tagged in this game by Ms.Wan of Cooking Varieties. I would like to thank her for that. I am new to this game and I found it very unique and interesting.The rules are simple. 

The blogger who is tagged in this game must select the most apt posts from his/her blog for the categories below, which are the 7 links:

 1. The most beautiful post 
 2. The most popular post 
 3. The most controversial post
 4. The most helpful post
 5. The post that was surprisingly successful 
 6. The post that did not get the attention it deserved
 7. The post I am most proud of

Then the blogger should publish these in his/her space, choose 5 other blogger friends and pass it so as to keep the ball rolling. Isn't it such a lovely game? The best part is this game made me go through almost all my posts till now, think more about them and sure it was hard to decide which one to select. But it's like giving credits to your own posts and to feel proud about your own space. :)

I have selected the following as the 7 links. Hope you will like to read about them.

1. The most beautiful post - Spinach and Carrots Pulao

I chose this as the most beautiful post because its still a hit with my 2 year old son. He loves this pulao so much. His favourites keeps on changing...but he has shown a green signal always for this dish :). What else a mother need to be happy rt ;) Another reason to select this post is because it is one of my innovative recipes, very healthy and colourful.




 2. The most popular post - Banana bread (Eggless and Sugarless)

This is the recipe which has got the most number of hits in my space. I have tried to make this bread very simple and healthy.I make this bread very often whenever there are some overripe bananas at home. This recipe's highlight is that its Eggless, Sugarless, made of Wheat flour and uses very little oil. So its one of my favourite recipes too :)


 3. The most controversial post- Baked Vegetable fritters

It is not a controversial post exactly. But it has a major twist in it. Usually fritters or pakoras are made using besan. But I made them using wheat flour, which is quite unusual ;). Some of my friends asked me why wheat flour and how did it taste etc though they liked my experiment :)





 4. The most helpful post- Gobi Manchurian Baked (Healthy version)

This is the recipe with second highest number of hits in my space. Gobi manchurian is a very popular dish. But  after we have it from fast food, we start worrying about the calories ;). So I came up with a recipe where  gobi's are dipped in wheat batter than maida and also the gobi fritters are baked than deep fried. It's a much healthy way of relishing the favourite dish. Some of my friends found it very helpful and they personally did mention to me about how they loved this recipe.



 5. The post that was surprisingly successful - Brinjal Raita

As I had mentioned in this post, its a recipe which I learnt from my mother. But when I posted it, many of my blogger friends commented that its totally new to them and liked the idea. I used to have this raita from my childhood, so it was not a stranger to me. Brinjal in raita itself was a surprise to many I guess, but it was much appreciated  and I felt happy that I posted a great recipe..thanks to my mother  :)




 6. The post that did not get the attention it deserved- Vegetable Omlette

I thought myself that its a quite innovative recipe. Eggs with veggies makes it an interesting and healthy dish, but I didnt get the response as I thought. This was one of the initial posts when I started my space and I had very less blogger friends, maybe thats the reason it wasnt much appreciated. For me its one of my favourites.




 7. The post I am most proud of - Bread Laddu

This post sounds so interesting rt..laddus with bread !! This is another dish which came from my innovative mind ;). I am proud of it because its the most simple and quickest sweet you can ever make. There is no cooking involved in this recipe. Mix everything and your laddus are ready :) . I am happy because I could get such a recipe from my creative mind..:)




Now I need to choose 5 blogger friends. It was hard to decide, still passing to few of my friends...

Sangee Vijay of  Typical Indian Cooking
Laxmi of  Samayal Diary
Julie of  Tasty Treat
Priya of Now Serving
Ramya of  Ramya's Recipe

Please participate in the game and will wait to know about the 7 links you choose in your space..:)

Have a great weekend my friends !!





30 Tasty Comments:

Sangeetha M said...

poha is fav breakfast/brunch...u made it differently n sure this will also be yummy...
coming to the game..7 links tag game...so interesting n the 7 links of your blog are very apt n i enjoyed recollecting them once again..thank you so much for the tag n sure would like to play :)

Laxmipriya said...

wow.. nice game to explore and exhibit our own posts.. Btw, tasty poha.. haven't tried this way..

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Poha looks delicious....You have played the game well...nicely done with reasons...great dear..

soujanya said...

Voww!! really interesting one....good one too...

Kaveri Venkatesh said...

Thanks for tagging me dear...will write my post soon

Unknown said...

Yummy comforting poha dish....

Unknown said...

Ooh! this is exciting - thanks for tagging me, Sobha :) Love the posts you've shown of your recipes .... I will think hard and put mine out soon :) cheers and hugs, priya

Deeksha said...

delicious poha... My all time fav.

Kalyan said...

The poha looks delicious and so easy to prepare...can't wait to try it.

Treat and Trick said...

Tasty poha and love all the links you had posted..

Unknown said...

Wow delicious dishes...

Priya Suresh said...

Savoury poha looks wonderful,can have it anytime.. wonderful.

Prathima Rao said...

Healthy, tasty poha!!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

cookbookjaleela said...

healthy poha

Unknown said...

Hey very nice game and thanks for tagging me in...

will post about this very soon and link 7 posts and friends.......

Vimitha Durai said...

Yummy dish dear... Simple and delicious... Thats one delish set of recipes...

Sensible Vegetarian said...

Delicious poha and love the 7 links and the write up.

munchmunchcrunchcrunch said...

I Do poha differntly...this version looks nice too...thanks for stopping by and leaving such nice comments...i enjoyed reading through your post as well

Kaveri Venkatesh said...

Hi Shoba,
You have some awards at my space. Please do collect them.

Archana said...

we love poha too. Lovely post.



Do check out my event and send me your entries.

Unknown said...

Simple and delicious, love the game idea

Vidhya said...

Poha looks delicious,loved the tag.

Vidhya said...

Poha looks delicious.Nice tag.

Rinku Naveen said...

Nice way to bring out all the best recipes on your blog. Good idea! Loved all those posts.

Pushpa said...

Poha looks very tempting and yummy..

Julie said...

Simple yet interesting poha..Above all a interesting game as well..thanx for tagging me :-),will surely try n participate.

Prathima Shivraj said...

Poha is my all time fav, yours look tempting and yummy.

aipi said...

Poha is something I never get bored of eating ~ delicious it looks!
US Masala

Simply Life said...

so fun to see a recap of these great posts!

alpana rana said...

Came across your blog today / love it. Will go through all the recipes one by one.
Do visit me at smart-snacks.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...