Friday, August 19, 2011

Brinjal Raita

This is a recipe which I learnt from my mother. My mother prepares a raita almost daily for lunch. A simple cucumber raita or carrot raita or mixed raita....different variety raitas, but it is always present in her menu. The main purpose was to make us eat fresh and raw vegetables daily. I learnt the idea of adding apples to raita also from her. View one such recipe here. Brinjal raita is her speciality. I asked the recipe to my mother over phone and made it yesterday. A very simple recipe and it was great, of course wouldn't taste as great as hers :)



What you need?

4-5 Brinjals
1 cup Yogurt
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
3-4 Green Chillies
4-5 Curry Leaves
1 tsp Oil
Salt


How to prepare?

Cut the brinjals into large cubes. Put them in a pan, add a little water...just enough to cook the brinjals. Don't add too much water, we may have to drain the excess water in the end if its more, which means you would end up wasting all the nutrients !! Sprinkle some water in between if necessary. (You can also add a little salt while cooking the brinjals)

Once cooked, you can notice that the brinjal becomes soft. Remove from stove and allow to cool. Then slowly remove the skin from brinjals and put only the flesh part into a bowl. Slightly smash them. Now add the yogurt and salt. Mix well.

Now do the tempering. Heat  oil, splutter mustard seeds, saute green chillies and curry leaves for few seconds. Add this to the raita. Serve with rice or roti.

Serves 2-3


28 Tasty Comments:

Raks said...

Brinjal raita is so new to me! Wonderful with roti!

Santosh Bangar said...

sounds tasty and try it soon......

Laxmipriya said...

Brinjal in raita, sounds very new and interesting..

Shireen said...

Never tasted this Sobha...but its lovely enough for me to try it out as soon as I can :) Pls post some more of ur mom's raitha recipes :) u have a fan here!

Rani acharyulu said...

Curd raitas are always so healthy and yummy...great recipe.

Ramya said...

this is new to me..never thot of adding it to raitha..nice recipe..

Kurryleaves said...

interesting recipe....looks yumm

aipi said...

Awesome ~ My hubs is a BIG baingan fan n he will go crazy over this ..lol :)
USMasala

Pushpa said...

Fantastic raita looks delicious.

Priya Suresh said...

Quite an interesting raita..yumm..

Suja Manoj said...

Can imagine its taste..yummy

cookingvarieties said...

hi sobha, look"s very appetizing. now i learnt the word "raita" i guess it relates to "appetizers"

will try it with yogurt. we do have eggplants that were boiled,, peeled and sliced but with fresh coconut milk etc added but not yogurt. thanks for this

Vardhini said...

I have this in my drafts .. difference is that I broiled the eggplant. This version looks yummy too. Will try it sometime.

Vardhini
Check out my 100th post giveaway.
Current Event: Herbs and Flowers - Garlic

Prathima Rao said...

Yummy!!!My fav raita!!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Archana said...

Looks very delicious.

Simply Life said...

great looking dish!

Ramya said...

Thatz totally new to me:-) I love brinjals and wud love to try this soon..

Unknown said...

Brinjal raita is very much new to me! Apt with rotis

khushi said...

wow sobha that is a real innovative recipe.....truly awesome!!
A Girl's Diary
Event:
What's On Your Kebab Platter:win a gift

Square Meals said...

Looks interesting...will definitely try this!

Food Glorious Food! said...

This is really new to me but I will definitely give it a try! I love anything brinjal :)

Unknown said...

Yum! You could eat it just like that too :) nice snaps dear

divya said...

wow, this sure looks so yummy, a wonderful post and lovely clicks..

soujanya said...

brinjal raita never thought of it...healty one...found new recipe with brinjal...good with roti..

Kaveri Venkatesh said...

Raita out of brinjal is very new to me...must try..

Plateful said...

Sounds like a delicious twist to the classic raita. Nice!

Gopika Ram said...

Woww.. this is a new recipe.. :) Looks awesome :D Tastes great too I am sure..

Jaisy James said...

raita looks yummy

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...