Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Cracked Wheat Pongal and Awards !!

I love Pongal because its simple to make, quick and very nutritious too. Whenever I am lazy to cook, I make this dish.I just need to put everything in the pressure cooker and then I can relax for sometime...a healthy dish will be ready in minutes :) . Less work means I am also happy ;-) I add lots of vegetables too which makes the pongal more healthy. I made the Cracked wheat pongal exactly how I prepared Oats Pongal. So the explanation is almost same for both, just made few modifications.. :-D



Cracked Wheat Pongal
Cracked Wheat Pongal

Ingredients:

Cracked Wheat- 1/2 cup (I used Bulgur, medium coarse)
Moong dal - 1/2 cup
Vegetables - 1/2 cup of your choice (I used carrots, corn, peas, beans)
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves - 4 to 5
Pepper Powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Asafoetida - a pinch
Oil - 1 tsp
Water - 4 cups
Coriander leaves - few strands chopped
Salt
Cracked Wheat -Bulgur


Wash and drain the moong dal.
Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add the cumin seeds. When they finish popping, add curry leaves.
Add the pepper and saute for a few seconds. Now add the cracked wheat.
Roast the cracked wheat for a few minutes at medium heat, maybe 2-3 mins.
Now add the moong dal and saute for a minute. Add the vegetables and mix well.
Finally add the water, salt , asafoetida, turmeric powder and coriander leaves.Mix well.
Pressure cook for about 2 whistles.

Serves 2-3


Finally I would like to thank Jyothi @ The Weight Watcher to share the awards with me. I am so happy because this is the first time I am getting an award. Thanks for remembering me Jyothi and for passing the awards.










17 Tasty Comments:

Julie said...

very healthy recipe..gud for kids,will give a try!

Unknown said...

This is a wonderful Pongal Sobha - I make this too and we all enjoy it as much as rice pongals :)

Suma Gandlur said...

Addition of veggies makes it a healthier version.

Vidhya said...

An awesome healthy dish.

Srivalli said...

Pongal with cracked wheat sounds very nice..

Sensible Vegetarian said...

Looks so delicious and addition of veggies is a great idea.

aipi said...

A filling n hearty dish- nice recipe!
Congrats on your well deserved awards :)
US Masala

Aruna Manikandan said...

First time here....
pongal looks healthy and delicious..

glad to follow u.
Check my space when u find time :)

AMMU MOHAN said...

hearty congrats for your awards....very health y recipe..great idea yar..

Suja Manoj said...

Congrats on your awards dear..
delicious and healthy dessert..

hemalata said...

So healthy and delicious recipe.Congrats for your awards

Sobha Shyam said...

Thank you all for the wonderful comments.

Thanks aipi, suja, ammu n hemalata for your wishes.

Priya...i too love rice pongal as well as oats pongal :)

Sravs said...

so healthy and wonderful pongal !! Congrats on ur awards !! Keep rocking !!

Prema said...

Thank u so ush for visiting my space dear...Love to follow ur blog...Recipes are too gud.

Luv,
PremalathaAravindhan.
www.premascook.com

Umm Mymoonah said...

Loved your healthy version of pongal, I would happily have this for breakfast.

saleena said...

Congrats sobha for the award.You really deserved it..Now you can compete with Noushad and lakshmi nair and can really become great like them:)

Divya D said...

delicious , yummy healthy :) sweet

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...