Sunday, March 11, 2012

Chickpeas Biryani

Hot steaming biryani always tempts me a lot...As I have said before, I am always ready to eat any rice variety. Biryani is one of my favourites....very flavourful, spicy and delicious rice. Served with a simple raita, maybe a pickle and papad...its just heaven for me :) I can finish it off in no time !! Chickpeas biryani is a healthy and delicious one, I would say a complete meal. I make biryani in pressure cooker itself which I find very simple and an easy method. I served it with a simple onion tomato raita. Hope you all will try this out.



Serves 3-4

You need...

1 cup Basmati rice
3/4 cup cooked Chickpeas
1 Onion chopped
2 small Tomatoes chopped
1 tsp Ginger-Garlic paste
1 tbsp broken Cashews
2-3 tsp Biryani masala
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp Chilli powder
2-3 Green chillies slit
2-3 tsp Ghee / Oil
some Coriander leaves chopped
1.5 cup Water
Salt

Whole Spices
1" pc Cinnamon
2 Cloves
2 Cardamoms
1 Star Anise
1 Bay leaf


To prepare...

Wash and soak the rice for half an hour. Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Add all the ingredients listed under Whole Spices. Fry until it leaves aroma. Now add cashews and fry till slight brown.

Add onions and ginger-garlic paste, saute until onions become transparent. Add tomatoes and green chillies, saute until tomatoes turn mushy. Now add turmeric powder, chilli powder and biryani masala. Saute for a minute.

Add the cooked chickpeas, coriander leaves and salt to this, saute for a couple of minutes. Now add the rice and combine everything well. Finally add the water and mix well. Pressure cook for 2 whistles. Serve the hot biryani with a raita, pickle and papad.




Sending this to the following events:

Kerala Kitchen, hosted by Prathibha , original event announcement here.
SpotLight: Colourful Holi at Cuisine Delights




43 Tasty Comments:

Teena said...

wow..this is indeed delicious & simple to prepare!!! Great & healthy idea!!!

FewMinute Wonders said...

I have never made any biriyani with chickpeas before. Something to try.

Spicy-Aroma said...

very delicious looking biryani..drooling here..
Spicy-Aroma

Hamaree Rasoi said...

On lazy days I make rice dishes in pressure cooker and with raita I keep it short. Like the addition of chickpeas

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

hotpotcooking said...

WOW!! Love the colors. Yum chick peas rice with nice bowl.

Hema said...

Yummy and protein-rich pulao..

Rekha shoban said...

perfectly done...yummy and healthy biryani...nice click!

Santosh Bangar said...

spicy biryani is looking tempting

Santosh Bangar said...

spicy biryani is looking tempting

Sensible Vegetarian said...

Totally love it. Looks yummy.

Inviting you to participate in Cook Eat Delicious Desserts Event- Wholesome Desserts with no refined sugar or flours

Meena said...

hey sobha in my house pulao or biryani is eaten a lot so i always prefer pressure cooker to normal pan to cook it..i did try once with chick peas but it was like some chana was left over so i used that in rice and it turned chana pulao hehe..

the things we do with our meals. good one dear

and thanks for visit at my blog

simran said...

very tasty!........full of flavour..and i am a huge fan of one dish meals!

Jeyashris Kitchen said...

my daughter is a big fan of this one.Very nicely done, and flavorful blend of masala

chef and her kitchen said...

very delicious biriyani...looks perfect 4 lunch boxes

Shilpakiran said...

yum yum ..mouthwatering .. truely looking good

Dolly Sharma said...

Love your Chickpeas Biryani. Healthy delicious and its a one pot meal. Beautiful Clicks. I make this at home too from time to time.

Unknown said...

Very healthy tasty biriyani.

Cuisine Delights
My First Event - "COLOURFUL HOLI".

Mélange said...

I always loved this..Too yummy to resist Shobha.

KitchenKarma said...

The biriyani looks awesome...I became a fan of chole chawal since my Delhi days...am sure I would love this dish...don't know why I have not been following you before, but rectified that mistake :-)

easyfoodsmith said...

I am also a biryani buff! The chick peas biryani is delicious and healthy indeed. I have made biryani with bengal gram and it tastes delicious too!

Vimitha Durai said...

Yummy biryani. Love this anytime..

Deeksha said...

Yummy platter made me hungry...
Love it.

Faseela said...

innovative n yummy biriyani.....

I will send u tha mail of my entries soon dear

radha said...

Interesting. If one can have rajma chawal, this is another option.

La @ FoodSlice said...

that looks so very tempting to me too

Raks said...

Loved the recipe and the pictures, the serving bowl is so cute.

hemalata said...

Yummy chickpeas biryani looks so delicious.

Rathai's recipe said...

Beautiful presentation and pictures, Sobha! This is a wonderful recipe. I know my mother is going to love this biryani. :)

Suja Manoj said...

Healthy and flavorful..perfect meal.

Achu's Amma's Kitchen said...

healthy new version biryani

Only Fish Recipes said...

wow...chick peas biriyani.....looks absolutely delicious dear....loved the gorgeous cicks :-)

Elaichii said...

looks super yummy!

Vidhya said...

What a wholesome and delicious looking biryani.

Julie said...

Very delicious n yummy yum biriyani!!

Cook in any recipe with "Cilantro /Cumin & Just link in EP Series-Cilantro /Cumin Event

Erivum Puliyum

Sangeetha M said...

very tasty and nutritious biryani...looks more tempting!
Thanks dear for linking to the event...
Spicy Treats
OnGoing Event:kitchen Chronicles - Summer Splash
Ongoing Event : HITS~Fiber Rich Foods

Kai ruchi said...

Chickpeas biryani looks fantastic! A simple recipe to follow too

Shylaja said...

Healthy and delicious biriyani

Deeps @ Naughty Curry said...

yum! my fav kind of biriyani

ജയരാജ്‌മുരുക്കുംപുഴ said...

adipoli aayittundu...... blogil puthiya post...... URUMIYE THZHANJAVAR ENTHU NEDI....... vayikkumallo........

Binys Recipes said...

wow i can have it now...love the colour and the clicks

Archana said...

Yummy biryani. Love the pics.

manisha said...

biryani looks awesome..

San said...

Such a mouth watering biryani straight on to my face. It's hard to resist it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...