Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Vegetable Pulao

I am a big fan of Rice varieties. I like to have rice in any style...from our traditional pongal to any chinese fried rice. For me rice is always a comfort food. But my hubby isn't very fond of rice dishes, he always prefer indian breads if given an option. He likes less masala rice and so I make this Vegetable Pulao. It is a light flavoured rice and very simple to make. You can see in the clicks that white colour of the rice is retained as I haven't added any spices such as chilli powder, garam masala etc. I have used only whole spices which gives a nice flavour. This is actually a modified version of my mom's pulao as she makes it in a kadai. I always use my favourite assistant, my pressure cooker to make this :)...so isn't that a yummy one pot meal ?


Serves 3-4

You need...

1 cup Basmati rice
3/4 cup mixed chopped Vegetables (carrot, peas etc)
1 medium size Onion chopped
3-4 Green chillies slit
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
1 tsp Ginger - Garlic paste
2 tbsp broken Cashews
1 tbsp Ghee
1.5 cup Water
Salt

Whole Spices
1" stick Cinnamon 
2 Cloves
1 Bay Leaf
2 green Cardamoms
1 star aniseed

To prepare....

Wash the rice and soak in water for about half an hour. Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Splutter cumin seeds.  Add all the ingredients listed under Whole Spices and saute until nice aroma comes. Add the cashews and fry till slight brown. 

Now add onions, green chillies, ginger-garlic paste and saute until onions turn transparent. Add the vegetables and saute for 2-3 minutes and add salt. Now add the drained rice and saute for a minute. Add water and mix well. Close the cooker and pressure cook for 2 whistles.

Rice is ready...Serve hot with any raita or a sidedish.






Sending this to Show me your HITS by Sangee Vijay of Spicy Treats.



 SpotLight: Colourful Holi at Cuisine Delights



 CC-Dish For Loved Ones by Srav's Culinary Concepts



and to Holi Hai at My Cook Book






45 Tasty Comments:

Rasi said...

looks delicious sobha...like the one we see in ads :)

Meena said...

yummy.. like u said rice i love in any format. but this one is equally good.. pulao is cherished a lot in my home so quantity is large and hence i also use my fav assistant the pressure cooker.

Sensible Vegetarian said...

So colorful and flavorful rice. Looks awesome, please let me know if I can send this entry to your event. http://www.sensibleveg.com/2012/02/ragifinger-millet-green-mung-black.html

Hema said...

Colorful and flavorful rice..

Kaveri Venkatesh said...

Rice looks so good Sobha, loved the white color of the rice with colorful bits of veggies thrown in...makes me want to have a spoonful now.

Mahi said...

Same pinch! I had the same for today's lunch! :)

cookingvarieties said...

hi sobha, i am just like you. I simply love to eat flavored rice especially using basmati rice.
.the likes of beryani, our tomato rice, fried rice, chicken rice..
yes, your veggie rice here looks so appetizing. must try this spicy type.
have a nice day

Amila said...

Looks so delicious & colourful!!

Deeps @ Naughty Curry said...

the pulav looks so pearly white & beautiful..makes the colours of veggies stand out

www.mahaslovelyhome.com said...

wow..looks awesome.....nice cliks....

ജയരാജ്‌മുരുക്കുംപുഴ said...

nannayittundu...... blogil puthiya post..... EE ADUTHA KAALATHU.... vayikkane.........

Unknown said...

Very colorful vegetable pulao.

Cuisine Delights
My First Event - "COLOURFUL HOLI".

Unknown said...

Thanks for linking my event.

Cuisine Delights
My First Event - "COLOURFUL HOLI".

Raks said...

Perfect! The most colourful pulav I have ever seen! Lovely!

Faseela said...

super tempting rice dear

Anjali Bapna Shukla said...

Wooosh...looks like an advertisement for some basmati rice brand...dana dana chamke!!
Lovely looking rice with awesome flavors. :)

Event : Cakes, Cookies and Desserts

radha said...

I like these delicately flavoured - non rich in terms of oil and masala - rice varieties.

Jeyashris Kitchen said...

i just had a simple puloa fo my dinner now and again this is tempting me

simran said...

nice and tasty!

Ramakrishnan said...

Wow ! Looks so colorful,attractive & yummy ! My gastronomic juices have already started working over time !

Kavi said...

OO I love how the rice is not sticky and they are beautifully separated!
Thank you so much for participating in Kid’s Delight event. :) I’ve posted the Roundup in 3 parts. You can check your entry at Part 1 , Part 2 OR Part 3
Love,
Kavi (Edible Entertainment)

Suja Manoj said...

Yummy and perfectly cooked..love it

San said...

Simple n captivating fried rice on the platter. Such a comfort dish.

Julie said...

flavorful n simple rice,Nice clicks!!

Please link your entries to EP Series-Cilantro & Cumin Event
Inviting Hosts for EP Series-Herbs & Spices

Sangeetha M said...

pulao looks so colorful n inviting...nicely done!!
your pictures are getting improved day by day...loving it!!

JishasKitchen said...

wow..vegetable pulav looks so colorful and perfect...loved it.

Surabhi said...

It's so tempting...:)
Thanks linking it to Holi Hai :)

Ongoing Event
"HOLI HAI"
"BEAT THE HEAT"

Shylaja said...

That looks vibrant and inviting

Priya Sreeram said...

simple & delightful

DV said...

So flavorful and I love white pulao too!!!

Unknown said...

this looks restaurant quality..lovely colors.

Unknown said...

this looks restaurant quality..lovely colors.

Sriya said...

irst time here ... glad to follow you ... very yummy pulav ...
visit my blog
www.sriyafood.blogspot.com

Priya dharshini said...

Colorful pulao...Luks very perfect.

khushi said...

lovely pulao...feeling hungry already

Sumi said...

You have a very interseting blog dear. I have an award for you in my blog.

Binys Recipes said...

wow so beautiful that i want a spoonful ...nice colour combo

La @ FoodSlice said...

Agree with Rasi. Looks vibrant and delightful

Sowmya said...

Soooo colorful and inviting....a yummy one-pot meal indeed!

Vegetarian Cultural Creatives

Elaichii said...

so colorful and the individual cooked grains are a feast to the eyes too!

The Yogi Vegetarian said...

Looks perfectly cooked and fluffy...very tempting. I LOVE
rice :)

Deepti said...

Looks very inviting! Very colorful

cookingvarieties said...

hi sobha, back agan, may be you have new post. have a nice day

Unknown said...

My favorite dish.. Looks yummy..

Only Fish Recipes said...

vegetable pulao looks very very delicious dear....yummm !!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...