Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Savoury Semolina Cake

This is a bookmarked recipe from Neha's lovely space, From my heart. The moment I saw this post in her blog, I had decided to try it out because I love savoury stuff than the sweet ones. The recipe just mentioned semolina and I had already roasted semolina with  me. So I confirmed with Neha if I can use the roasted one for this recipe. I was happy when she responded quickly with a yes and I tried it out yesterday itself.  This was my first savoury bake and I loved it totally. I don't like semolina upma much and this was definitely a unique recipe with a different taste. The savoury cakes came out awesome and its sure a healthy breakfast/brunch/snack idea. I have followed the exact recipe with very slight changes and I didnt have sesame seeds as topping too, so I adjusted with some cashews. It's a lovely recipe and very easy to prepare.

Click here for the original recipe.


What you need?

1 cup Semolina
1 cup thick Yoghurt
1 cup mixed Vegetables of your choice
1/4 cup chopped Onion
1 tbsp chopped Ginger
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
3/4 tsp Chilli powder 
1/2 cup Water
Salt

1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
5-6 Curry Leaves
2 tbsp Oil

1/2 tsp Baking soda
1/2 tsp Baking powder

1 tbsp  broken Cashews (optional)



How to prepare?

In a bowl, add semolina, vegetables, onion, ginger, turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt. Combine this well. Now add yoghurt to this and mix well. Add water to this to get a thick batter. ( I added only 1/2 cup, original recipe says 1 cup)

Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a pan with oil.

Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard and cumin seeds. Add curry leaves and saute for few seconds. Now add this tempering to the batter. Finally add baking soda and powder to the batter. Combine everything well. 

Pour the batter to the pan. Throw some cashews on the top. Bake for about 35-40 minutes.



Serve hot with some ketchup or chutney.





34 Tasty Comments:

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Excellent looking cake. Very colorful.
Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Unknown said...

I've bookmarked this recipe...lovely idea of savoury cake...yummy

divya said...

Omg, fingerlicking cake, super inviting and makes me hungry.

Julie said...

Lovely savoury version...Looks delicious!!

Sangeetha M said...

I too bookmarked this,yet to try...yours come out really gud Sobha...your pic r so tempting...can't wait to try it :)

Alpana said...

Wow.........what a delicious looking semolina cake.......wish I could have some.

Archana said...

Yummy one. Looks delicious.

Hosting an event which I am calling Back to our Roots Also hosting for Nov’11 Veggie Food for the Month_Raw Banana. Please do send me your entries.

Archana said...

Yummy one. Looks delicious.

Hosting an event which I am calling Back to our Roots Also hosting for Nov’11 Veggie Food for the Month_Raw Banana. Please do send me your entries.

Hari Chandana P said...

Wowww... looks so colorful and delicious.. awesome clicks too.. thanks for the recipe dear :)
Indian Cuisine

Unknown said...

very innovative idea dear....love it!


Herbs and Flowers - "Parsley" - Till Nov 15th
LGSS -"Tomato" - Nov 5th to Dec 5th
100 Friends/Followers & GIVEAWAY

soujanya said...

very nice cake..never tried...
looks grt!!!

Square Meals said...

Very interesting!

Neha said...

Thnx for trying it dear...It has come out perfect...

Amina Creations said...

semolina cake looks delicious.. must try..

MyKitchen Flavors-BonAppetit!. said...

Semolina cake luks Awesome,spongy and mouthwatering.Luv it.

Sensible Vegetarian said...

Very interesting and delicious one.

Elaichii said...

Looks yummy and healthy dear!

Nandinis food said...

Wow@ It's tasty and yummy! I'd love to have a piece!

Tina said...

Yummy cake...

Lifewithspices said...

Excellent such an awesome cake..too good..

chef and her kitchen said...

I love this easy snack..perfect

DV said...

Wonderful idea! :) Savoury Indian cake!

Indian Khana said...

Looks so delish n perfect ...perfect for any time of day

Prema said...

wow delicious cake,love this savoury version...

Priya Suresh said...

Super delicious,tempting savoury cake..

Gayathri NG said...

Innovative starter really appetizing...

Suja Manoj said...

Looks delicious,love the savory version..

Treat and Trick said...

Healthy and yummy!

Julie said...

Hi Sobha,
You have an award waiting at my space,please collect it :-)
Thanx,
julie

Shylaja said...

Looks delicious and yummy

Chitra said...

wow,its very new to me. Nice :)

Loveandcalories said...

I had tried this before but my seasoning wasnot right....should try iit again with ur recipe!!

Asha said...

First time in your space....It is truly nice... Thanks for visiting mine... and following you...

Vineetha Sush said...

Nice bake..Liked the idea of savoury cake :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...